Monday, June 4, 2012

SPUD-TASTIC DISHES for every Mood

 My school friend Ms Radickle and I were chatting today and were discussing our comfort foods. For those people who do not indulge in emotional eating (why do u know me again?)-its is a state of using food as medicine or refuge against adverse external/internal circumstances.I have known many girls' whose relationships would have never survived without their weekly chocolate binge.

 She said hers was bread and I realized that mine has become the Potato whilst earlier I would have said rice. Whats common between Bread-Rice-Potatoes or for that matter Chocolate ? All are forms of carbohydrates which is just sugar that gives the body instant energy and makes you feel all warm and fuzzy on the inside (till you step of the weighing scale that is). I decided that besides the boring aloo ki sabzi Potatoes form a very integral part of eating out today and its a side dish that most people relish more than the main. Everyone has a particular way they like them -fried,baked,roasted,boiled or masked. My friends and family can tell what kind of  mood I am in just by what kind of potatoes I order.

HAPPY-WITH-THE-WORLD MASH POTATO MOOD





 Everytime I am in a good mood I order mash potatoes. The soft creamy potatoes creamed with olive oil or butter with a dash of warm milk makes me want to sing with joy. 
The best mash potatoes ASCALLION MASH WITH FRIED GARLIC @ SMOKEHOUSE DELI 
The worst mash potatoes B: DISTASTEFULLY DOUGHEY MASH @ PALI VILLAGE CAFE
The most value for money mash C:MIDNIGHT FEATHERY GREAT FOR HANGOVERS MASH @ MARINE PLAZA


Trattoria, Moshes and Indigo Deli make a mean mash too !







CHILLY GARLIC FRIES @ TEA CENTER

NERVOUS-AND ANXIOUS FRIED POTATO MOOD



Every time I am upset my mind goes to fried potatoes. Slivers of french fries seems to be just what I need to allay my mind and go to my happy place. Whilst I dont recommend binge eating to solve ones problems 1 or 2 pieces never hurt anyone> Like a goodluck mascot. ERMM...Other then the French FRY  we have also spiced versions that are either batter fried-the pakora or semi-chinese (I say semi because no one in China has heard of them) versions fried with cornflour garlic and chillies.

CHILLY CHOU CHOW @ THE BOMBAY GYMKHANA


DON'T KNOW I FEEL ROAST/BAKED POTATO MOOD
ROSEMARY ROAST POTATOES @ PVC 
Its absurd but its true. Whenever I have ordered Roast or Baked potatoes it is because an event has occurred in my life that I haven't been able to decipher is good or bad for me OR because I have mixed feelings towards something. Be it the simple baked potato wrapped in silver foil served with dollops of sour cream and chives or Italian Roasted Potatoes with Rosemary (Patatine al forno) -these potatoes help me make up my mind either way



COMING SOON....SWEET POTATO THE HEALTHY TUBER....
TANDOORI SAKARKAND @ URBAN TADKA-YUMMM